Tor San Michele is a fortified tower built near the mouth of the river Tiber in the 16th century and is now located near the new touristic harbor of Ostia Lido. It was built right after the disatrous flood of 1557, when the river changed its course and the castel of Julius II (Ostia Antica) remained isolated. The original project was designed by…Michelangelo! However, it is not named after the great artist, as it took the name of Pope Pius V, Michele Ghisleri, who ordered the contsruction between 1564 and 1568. The windows were added in the 1930s. In recent times, the tower was used as a lighthouse and was a refuge for Germans and then Americans during WWII. All pictures by Stefania Gialdroni.